Friday, December 20, 2013

Christmas memories (and toys) that make me smile

   Over the last few days I have found myself reflecting on memories of Christmases past.
   One story I like to remember and share is how my sister and I would know if Santa had been by.
   We didn’t have a fireplace in our house, so our stockings were hung on each side of the doorway from the living room to the kitchen. We could see this doorway from the end of the hallway. We would peek down the hallway and if the stockings were bulging with goodies we knew Santa had been there and we could get up. If the stockings were flat we raced back to bed and covered our heads so Santa would think we were asleep.
   For years we would be up way before daybreak to dig into the goodies around the Christmas tree. I don’t remember how old I was when I first woke up after daybreak but I do remember being disappointed. Part of the fun was the early wake up.
   As a crafter, I like the memory of the Christmas card baskets my mother used to make. She made them long before the days of the Internet, but I am glad I was able to find some tutorials and photos online.
   Before the days of waiting in store lines for an Xbox or iPad, there were lines for Cabbage Patch dolls. Once upon a time those weren’t so easy to find in the toy aisle. My little bald Cabbage Patch doll was named William.
   Other great gifts I remember include: Hungry Hungry Hippos, red, white and blue roller skates, and a tree house family.




No comments: