Saturday, June 29, 2013

From wicked wire to cuff bracelets


   The more I work with wire the more I enjoy it, although to this point it’s just been to wrap and hold braided bracelets. As much as I like working with wire, I do not enjoy the periodic “blood tests” that seem to occur on the tips of my fingers. My weeks of creating jewelry are taking their toll on my fingers. I have poked my fingertips numerous times and seem to be handling wire with my hands more than any of the tools I have. I’ve never been one to keep a perfect manicure, but now add to that dry and punctured fingertips and I’m sure I won’t be called anytime soon to be a hand model.
   As for working with wire, I decided to try wire-wrapped cuff bracelets. I found great inspiration from Happy Hour Projects and The Crafty Housewife.
   Throughout this process I have struggled with which gauge wire to use for the frame. I do know that the higher the gauge number the more flexible the wire. So I used wire with a lower gauge, like 16- or 18-gauge, for the bracelet frame. Then I used 24-gauge wire to thread the beads and wrap around the frame. I welcome comments and suggestions for using wire. Here are snapshots of my wire wrapping progression.


 



2 comments:

Lois said...

Your wire cuffs are absolutely gorgeous! I'm so happy you were a guest poster on Auntie's Beads blog. I never would have found your website otherwise, as I am one of those people you aren't on Facebook, and not much into using 'social media', etc.

Thank you for sharing your tutorials on the way you make wire cuffs. I like your style!

Unknown said...

Thank you so very much for your kind words. I hope you continue to follow my blog.
Teresa