Saturday, August 3, 2013

Paper, glue, skewers...Voilà! Paper beads!


   I recently went shopping for craft supplies and ended up getting two booklets of craft paper as well as craft paper scraps.
  I should have known better. I certainly didn't need so much paper, especially since making paper beads is a great way to use junk mail and scraps around the house.
   With one sheet of 6 in. X 6 in. paper I rolled eight beads.




   I cut the paper into triangular strips. I put a dab of glue on the underside of the small tip of the triangle shape then started rolling the paper from the larger end using a BBQ skewer. They were not perfect triangles so I nudged the paper some as I rolled it to keep it centered.
   After I rolled the paper onto the skewers I stuck the skewers into a floral foam square so any glue that may have squirted out wouldn't stick the skewer to the table.
   Once I knew the beads were secure and the glue was dry I painted them with Mod Podge, which is one of the best discoveries I've ever made. I bought a sample pack of Mod Podge products because I wasn't sure which one I would need. I used a glossy finish on some beads and some sparkly finish on others. The Mod Podge provides a protective coat to the paper and makes it more durable.
   In addition to rolling this paper into beads I plan to see if any of the paper will work as earring holders/cards in the future.
   There is something kind of addictive in the monotony of rolling paper beads. I have lost track of time when I've been in the Creative Cave rolling these beads. I have all kinds of ideas for using these paper beads in jewelry projects. I just have to stop rolling long enough to be creative.



No comments: